The one thing I do not currently have in my possession of fiber tools is a blending board.
It could easily be purchased, though I started to think, why?
Yesterday, I picked out some Romney dyed locks and decided do a little trial and error on creating rolags on the drum carder. It worked.
I actually liked that I was able to card the wool before striping it off into rolags. The rotation of the drum gave the fibers a much better comb than I probably could do on a blending board.
The one thing I found a bit difficult was pulling the fiber off. It was just a matter of how I was directing the pull of the fiber. Once I found the right angle and pulling pressure, it was very easy. I didn’t overload the carder either. I loaded it about half way.
If you have a drum carder, you should give it a try. I did the process three times before I got the hang of it.
Just another way to get the most from your drum carder.